John Robert Pharr
VP/CFO/OPERATIONS TO $100 MILLION
Key player on executive management teams that positioned companies to create/manage $180+M of value providing decision support and management advisory services to CEO’s pursuing a growth strategy
Portfolio Development …Capital Formation… Intellectual Property …Technology
- Accounting and Financial Reporting
- Common and Preferred Equity SEC Level Audits and Filings Private Placements
- Investment Portfolio Management Mergers and Acquisitions Corporate Shells
- Computer Systems
- Strategic Planning and Forecasting Troubled Debt Restructuring Corporate Governance
- P&L Management
- AS CFO of North Texas Real Estate Information Systems, Inc. (regional Multiple Listing Service providing the computing infrastructure to 15 REALTOR® Association Shareholders with 29,000 members/subscribers) developed operating plans approved by the Board of Directors and Shareholders and tracked progress leading to ten consecutive years of profitability (2005 – 2014), retired all of the corporate debt and converted cash profits into an investment portfolio worth $5 million over a five year period.
- VP/ CFO of National Diversified Co. (investment holding company and technology incubator providing financing, accounting and management advisory services to nine portfolio companies with 130 employees), doubled the firm’s net worth from $12M to $25M (1996-2001) while transforming the portfolio from investments in under performing companies in declining industries to investments in companies with proprietary technologies including electron-beam environmental remediation systems.
- AS CFO of Valence Corporation (NDC portfolio company and developer of electron-beam systems for the remediation of environmental toxins) raised $3.3M in new investment capital by attracting new venture investors and forging strategic alliances (Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Teledyne Electronics).
- As CFO at National Design, Inc. (graphic accelerators, software and processor chip products), positioned the company as an attractive acquisition target leading to a merger with Techworks, a $50 million specialty manufacturer of Mac add-in components enabling them to add a diverse PC products line to their existing Super Store market channel (1992-1994).
- Prior to 1992, as CFO and CPA, led the repositioning, development and expansion of a 50 lawyer law firm, and a CPA firm specializing in the entertainment industry.
NORTH TEXAS REAL ESTATE INFORMATION SYSTEMS, INC., Dallas, Texas
Chief Financial Officer 2004 – 2015
Responsible for operational and strategic planning, finance, accounting and portfolio management activities for regional multiple listing service company providing the computing infrastructure to the residential real estate industry in North Texas, consisting of 15 REALTOR® Associations and 27,000 subscribers.
- A major hardware and software conversion in 2003 left the company technically insolvent. Developed operating plans and recommended termination of unproductive software agreements saving the company $1 million per year leading to ten years of profitable operations.
- Retired all company borrowings and managed company cash to build retained earnings sufficient to finance yearly capital purchases without borrowing, to fund future hardware and software conversions and to protect the company’s intellectual property assets.
- Developed investment policy statement approved by the Board, hired investment advisor and oversaw the growth of investment portfolio to $5 million over a five year period. Portfolio currently generates in excess of $300,000 in interest and dividends and meets the investment policy statement goal of 5 to 7% cash return annually. The portfolio has generated over $1 million total income since inception in June 2010.
John Robert Pharr 972 . .515 . 1040 Page 2 of 2
NATIONAL DIVERSIFIED Co., Waco, Texas VALENCE CORPORATION
Vice President, Chief Financial Officer 1 996 – 2004
Controlled strategic planning, finance, accounting, acquisitions and divestitures activities for 50 year-old investment holding company that provided capital and advisory services to create value for its $25-million portfolio of start-up and early-stage businesses possessing proprietary technologies.
Company portfolio was invested in underperforming agricultural and printing companies with 130 total personnel operating in mature and declining industries …the stockholders sought to transform its portfolio to investments in companies with proprietary technologies in growth industries … developed and executed a road map for enterprise growth that doubled the firm’s net worth from $12M to $25M:
- Transformed the portfolio mix from mature and declining businesses (agricultural and printing) to companies with proprietary technologies in growth industries …sold businesses providing net cash of $1.lM…liquidated assets and negotiated settlement of $2.3M liability to secured creditors …negotiated and executed exchange and settlement agreements that won an additional $2.2M of debt forgiveness for the parent
- Designed and implemented decision support systems for portfolio company CEO’s and managers that were instrumental in strengthening the operating performance of the businesses and positioning the companies as attractive merger/acquisition targets or venture capital investments. Prepared financial statements and footnotes, dashboard reports for sales and operations metrics, private placement memoranda and SEC filings.
- Secured $1.5 M of debt financing (working capital and capital lease financing) on the strength of company objectives, operating controls and performance
NATIONAL DESIGN INC., Austin, Texas
Chief Financial Officer 1992-1994
Led venture capital acquisition, strategic planning, accounting, and administration activities for early-stage computer components manufacturer. Positioned company as an attractive acquisition target and quarterbacked merger transaction.
WRIGHT & GREENHILL PC, Austin, Texas
Chief Financial and Operations Officer 1985-1991
Managed the operations of this law firm encompassing 50 lawyers and 125 personnel. Implemented strategies facilitating growth. Governed financial, accounting and administrative functions. Advised compensation committee. In 36 months, transformed a boutique insurance defense law practice operating in 15,000 square feet in a single location into a full-service law firm whose annual revenues increased from $6M to $12+M operating out of 45,000 square feet of offices in three locations …increased partner compensation $17+M over 5 years
CORN, JANDA & Co, Austin, Texas
CPA, Manager of Management Advisory Services Practice 1980-1985
Provided business management services to major music industry clients and consulting services related to capital acquisition, operations management and information systems. Music industry clients generated revenues in excess of $130 million…Christopher Cross (debut album sold a record setting 16 million copies worldwide and won 5 Grammy Awards), Delbert McClinton and Willie Nelson.
ACADEMICS & AFFILATIONS
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN: Bachelor of Business Administration, Accounting